Sign Up To Become a Page Pal Today!
Page Pals Objective
The City of Birmingham is partnering with Birmingham City Schools and the community with one goal in mind— to improve student reading ability. Page Pals is a reading program designed to produce more effective 3rd grade student readers both inside and outside the classroom.
To support our students, Page Pals is a reading initiative created in partnership with BCS to increase reading proficiency for elementary school students, specifically K-3. Page Pals creates more opportunities for students to read outside of the normal classroom setting at school with volunteers.
Birmingham students need your help. We are encouraging volunteers and organizations to assist at designated 3rd grade library times through read-aloud and conversation. Through Page Pals, volunteers are aimed to help students increase the amount of time they spend reading and help students build their background knowledge in social studies and science.
Page Pals Volunteer Orientation Video
A Town Hall On 3rd Grade Literacy Hosted By Mayor Woodfin and Dr. Mark Sullivan
Alabama Literacy Act Resources
With the passage of the Alabama Literacy Act and its implementation on the horizon, it is more important now than ever before to ensure that our students are proficient readers and that they are afforded greater opportunities for reading practice and experiences. Only 56% of 3rd grade students in Birmingham City Schools are effectively achieving grade level reading as measured by the 2021 State of Alabama Comprehensive Assessment Program (ACAP).
About the Alabama Literacy Act
- HB 388: Alabama Literacy Act: act2019-523.pdf (alabamaachieves.org)
- The Alabama Literacy Act Implementation Guide: Alabama-Literacy-Act-Implementation-Guide-final-draft-7.15.20.pdf (alabamaachieves.org)
- Alabama’s Action Plan for Literacy: Birth through Grade 12: Alabama-Action-Plan-for-Literacy-2020.pdf (alabamaachieves.org)
- Alabama Campaign for Grade Level Reading: Alabama-Campaign-for-Grade-Level-Reading-Plan-July-2020.pdf (alabamaachieves.org)
- Alabama Literacy Report 2019-2020: Alabama-Literacy-Report-2019-2020.pdf (alabamaachieves.org)
- Alabama Literacy Act Frequently Asked Questions: ALSDE® (schoolinsites.com)
Resources for Parents
- Parents Notes about the Alabama Literacy Act: AlabamaLiteracyAct.pdf (bhamcityschools.org)
- Parent Advocacy Resource for Parents of Students with Dyslexia: DRG-10-16-2020.pdf (alabamaachieves.org)
- Alabama Reading Initiative – Family Guide for Student Success: Family Guide for Student Success (bhamcityschools.org)
- At Home Foundational Reading Activities: At-Home Foundational Reading Activities (alabamaachieves.org)
- My Child Can – Kindergarten: Final_My Child Can! Kindergarten Booklet (alabamaachieves.org)
- My Child Can – First Grade: Final_My Child Can! First Grade Booklet (alabamaachieves.org)
- My Child Can – Second Grade: Final_My Child Can! Second Grade Booklet (alabamaachieves.org)
- My Child Can – Third Grade: Final_My Child Can! Third Grade Booklet (alabamaachieves.org)
Resources for Students
- Learning Games and Apps for Kids: ABCya! • Learning Games and Apps for Kids
- Kids Games and Books Online: Starfall Education: Kids Games, Movies, & Books K-3
- Kids Games and Books Online: Games, Videos, and Books for Kids – Funbrain
- Kids’ Books Read Aloud Videos: Storyline Online – Library
- Fun Educational Website for Kids Ages 2-6: https://learn.khanacademy.org
- Alabama lawmakers push forward possible two year delay of literacy act: Alabama lawmakers push forward two-year delay of Literacy Act – al.com
- Tips for Parents: familyguide-reading_skills.pdf (pta.org)